• Users Online: 405
  • Home
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
Home About us Editorial board Search Ahead of print Current issue Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2018  |  Volume : 53  |  Issue : 1  |  Page : 21-25

Ilizarov treatment of severe type I fixed flexion deformities of the knee joint


Department of Orthopedic Surgery and Traumatology, Alexandria University, Alexandria, Egypt

Correspondence Address:
Badawi Ihab
5 Abdel Salam Aref Street, El Hedaya, Alexandria
Egypt
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/eoj.eoj_10_18

Rights and Permissions

Background Two types of flexion contracture of the knee can be distinguished: the one associated with joint destruction and ankylosis, and the other in which joint anatomy and mobility are preserved. In the first type, the aim of treatment is to obtain an ankylosed knee in a functional position, and in the second is the correction of deformity and preservation of movements. Treatment of severe deformities is associated with serious complications such as insufficient correction, skin necrosis, neurovascular problems, leg-length discrepancy, posterior subluxation of the tibia, fractures of the femur and the tibia, and recurrence of the deformity. The Ilizarov method offers a minimally invasive procedure that allows gradual correction of the deformity with relatively few complications. Aim This study was carried out to assess the results of gradual correction of severe type I fixed flexion deformities of the knee joint using Ilizarov external fixator. Patients and methods This study included eight patients having severe type I fixed flexion deformity of the knee joint. The preoperative fixed flexion deformity ranged from 50 to 80° (mean: 67.5±8.3°). All knees were stiff preoperatively. The cause of the deformity was juvenile rheumatoid arthritis in four (50%) patients, infection following open reduction and internal fixation of a tibial plateau fracture in three (37.5%) patients, and repeated hemarthrosis of the knee in one (12.5%) patient. Results Full correction was achieved in all patients following removal of the fixator. The follow-up period ranged from 12 to 36 months (mean: 24±4.3 months) following removal of the brace. Two (25%) patients had no recurrence of the deformity, whereas the remaining six (75%) cases had partial recurrence of the deformity that ranged from 5 to 25° (mean: 11.25±9.5°) during the follow-up period. Conclusion Ilizarov gradual distraction is an option to improve the quality of life of patients having severe type I fixed flexion deformities of the knee joint despite the high rate of partial recurrence.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed60    
    Printed4    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded9    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal