• Users Online: 272
  • Home
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
Home About us Editorial board Search Ahead of print Current issue Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2017  |  Volume : 52  |  Issue : 3  |  Page : 195-201

Mismanaged, misdiagnosed lisfranc injuries: long-term follow-up


Department of Orthopedics, Faculty of Medicine, Suez Canal University, Ismailia, Egypt

Correspondence Address:
Sameh Mahmoud Abou El-Fadl
Department of Orthopedics, Faculty of Medicine, Suez Canal University, Ismailia
Egypt
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/eoj.eoj_54_17

Rights and Permissions

Introduction Dislocations and fracture-dislocations of the tarsometatarsal joints are disabling injuries that present difficult therapeutic problems. Early recognition is imperative. Most studies cite that up to 20% of injuries are missed or misdiagnosed at first presentation; this number could be as high as 40%. Patients and methods This study included all patients who presented with misdiagnosed or mismanaged Lisferanc injuries to Suez Canal University Hospital during the period from May 2002 to March 2006. Patients’ outcomes were assessed using the American Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Society midfoot score. A total of 19 patients were available at the end of the study. Results The mean age of the patients was 34.05±11.76 years including 17 (89.5%) men and two (10.5%) women. There were 17 patients with combined injury (ligament and bone) and two patients with pure ligamentous injury. The patients were distributed according to the modified Hardcastle classification. There were nine (47.4%) patients with type B lateral fractures; two of these showed fleck sign, six (31.6%) patients with type A lateral fracture, three (15.8%) patients with type C total fracture dislocation, and one (5.3%) patient with type C partial fracture. Four (21.1%) patients were managed after the first week of injury, nine (47.4%) patients were managed between the second week of injury and the seventh week, and six (31.6%) patients were managed after the seventh week of the injury. Four (21.1%) patients developed osteoarthrosis at the end of follow-up. Conclusion Lisferanc injuries are reported to be the most commonly missed injury. Once diagnosed, anatomical reduction and stable fixation is the standard principle governing the treatment of these injuries.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed105    
    Printed1    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded13    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal